In 1956, John D. Palmer began making maple syrup with his son of 17 years, Ken. The father and son team began tapping their own maple trees and boiling the sap in a flat pan in the woods on the Palmer farm property. John and Ken made syrup for their own family and, as the years ticked by, the neighbours and community began enjoying their syrup too.
After years of boiling on a flat pan in the woods, Ken Palmer boiled the sap in a small lean-to, followed by a move into the first proper building, a small red barn located beside today's green and white shop on Palmer's property.
In 1992, Ken, Ellen, and Brian Palmer began serving pancakes from their garage as a church charity. In 1997, the Palmers decided to "go big or go home" and Palmer's famous board and batten shanty opened and began serving pancakes and waffles in 1998.
Over the years, Palmer's Maple Syrup has experienced many technologial changes and advancements. Beginning with metal buckets, spiles in the trees and a tractor to collect sap, the process has graduated to today's plastic spiles, blue pipeline, black mainline, vacuum pumps, stainless steel holding tanks and stake truck to collect the sap.
Palmers currently run 6000 taps in three different woodlots. Brian uses a dependable tapping crew each spring to prepare for the maple sap flow and collection of it to make quality Canadian Maple Syrup.
Today, current owners Brian and Laura Palmer along with their sons Cole and Christopher and family, continue to entertain neighbours, friends, and the community who enjoy big breakfasts and lunches, tours, and walks in the woods as part of their adventure at Palmer's Maple Syrup Farm.